reappropriate

Friday, June 09, 2006

The Cat Ate the Headphones

... argh. I love my cat. Really. She's just freakin' adorable. But for some reason, a certain model of Sony headphones are her arch-nemesis. Six months ago, I splurged (it was a congratulations on surviving the semester present to myself) and bought a nice $30 pair of headphones. I went home, checked 'em out and left them sitting on the computer desk. I came by the next morning to find that the cat -- who usually has zero predilection for electrical wiring -- had chewed through the wire. I immediately got a second pair from Best Buy, thinking it was just a fluke. By the next day, that pair, too, had been chewed through. I bought a third pair. Yes, I know, repeatedly performing the same act expecting different results is a common definition of insanity, but I thought I had learned. I kept them carefully stowed away, in the laptop bag. The cat existed, blissfully unaware that the villainous headphones had once more infiltrated her space. Other wired objects -- the mouse, the lamp electrical cords, the television, the Playstation, all were allowed to co-exist within her domain and she never once turned on them. Last night I slipped. I was working on a separate blog post on the laptop and, in the midst of unpacking the laptop wiring, placed the headphones on the couch. This morning, I hurried to throw everything in my bag and go to work. At work, I pulled out all the laptop components, and there it was: evidence of the cat's misdeeds. The headphones, which usually ended in a nice jack for the outlet on the side of the computer, instead led to some torn plastic coating surrounding a splayed brush of wires. Chock another one up for the cat. Needless to say, I'm not buying that model of headphones again. It's better than catnip.

4 Comments:

Anonymous gatamala said...

jenn, jenn, jenn

cats like dangly things that hang and things they can push around with their paws and wrestle with. Head phones Mine don't like headphones, they prefer shoelaces, drawstrings and cigarette butts..one of them likes the ps2 wires. Just in case I always wrap my headphones up

6/09/2006 04:41:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

yeah, it's a good idea... i'm usually a lot better, I just slipped up and forgot.

it's hard adjusting to having a cat in the house. even a year later, i still forget sometimes that they're worse than children -- you can't scold them and have them not do it again next time.

6/09/2006 04:53:00 PM  
Blogger William said...

Can I just tell you that I love this post? Could you create a spin-off site, kinda like "Jenn @ Home". It would kinda be like "Oprah After the Show", where we'd get to see how you unwind and what goes on in your life when you're not "on".

More about the cat! The cat has an audience now =)

6/12/2006 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

lol, my life isn't that interesting, will.

although... the cat ate her fourth pair yesterday morning -- a cheap-ish pair that came with the walkman.

6/12/2006 12:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home