reappropriate

Monday, May 22, 2006

Officially Qualified

Saturday night, I had the most terrifying of dreams. I dreamt I had received an email from the Systems Physiology course coordinator informing the first-year PhD students that our grades were in and we could pick up our completed exams first thing Monday morning. I went into the office, with a palpatable sense of terror, and discovered, to my horror, that I had achieved a 35 on my exam, and was doomed to repeat my first year of courses over again, or worse yet, fail out of the program entirely. See, in order to pass my "Qualifying Exams" to become a graduate student in the Physiological Sciences program, I had to attain a B or better in my Cell Physiology and Systems Physiology classes, and getting a 35 would have certainly plummeted me into the 'C' range. When I awoke Sunday morning, I had to remind myself that it was all a dream; that I was in no danger of getting a C in the class. And then I checked my email. And there it was: the email from the course coordinator (who also happens to be my advisor) informing us that our exams were graded and available for pick-up Monday morning. Electroman had to remind me that I had never before exhibited signs of precognition. So, of course, I went to pick up my exam at 8:30 this morning. And, of course, my dreams had been wrong: as of today, I have officially passed my Qualifying Exams and successfully established myself as a graduate student. It's nice to know that I am, indeed, qualified. Next step? The terrifying Comprehensive Exams next summer. 'Til then: 'Huzzah...'

8 Comments:

Blogger NursePam said...

Congratulations on a job well done :o)

5/22/2006 09:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Jay said...

Heh. Canada is different. Comprehensives are usually later in the term (4th-5th term) and test on how much material you've read (actually, that's not true, most of my friends' comprehensives consisted of the examiners testing on their background - which is sometimes way different than the subject the PhD is concentrating on). Qualifying exams don't exist, they're covered in the comprehensive but they want to institute one at my old school (the US I think is moving away from them, oddly enough.).

On the other hand, you almost always get a good mark from your advisor because the advisors I'm used to at least have a closer relationship with their students, so they're always steeped in their advisor's subjects. Your nightmare seemed irrational to me.

Congratulations anyway. 2 more grueling years left.

5/22/2006 09:32:00 PM  
Anonymous gatamala said...

Jeez Jay, is any nightmare rational??? I always have this fucking nightmare where I didn't go to an exam! It always seems so real!!!! Mind you I've been out of law school for 3 years... Congrats Jenn --- I hate to say this, but you'll probably have this nightmare again!

5/23/2006 12:13:00 PM  
Blogger James said...

I thought the nightmare was totally foolish. But I'm glad that the exam worked out.

5/23/2006 02:39:00 PM  
Blogger EL said...

Congrats!

5/24/2006 10:18:00 AM  
Blogger jose said...

Congratulations! Your dreams need more faith in you. =D

5/25/2006 02:30:00 AM  
Blogger Hui Jeong said...

hehe... when i was writing my thesis i would have dreams about it. not normal dreams that my computer crashed or that i didn't finished it, but all of these thoughts, formatting corrections, citations, etc would run through my head VERY quickly. needless to say, i did not sleep well. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

5/26/2006 11:32:00 PM  
Blogger Karlos said...

A belated congratulations! And watch out for that pre-cognition thing. Your mutant powers may be starting to break loose... and you saw what did to Jean Grey.

-K

6/06/2006 12:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home