reappropriate

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Why I Should Be in L.A.

That's it, I'm moving to Hollywood. Over the past few days, I've been in contact with someone from New Line Cinemas who is trying to promote the new film, Take the Lead starring Antonio Banderas and apparently co-starring Dante Basco. Dante Basco has a special place in my heart because he was quite literally the first person of Asian descent I saw on the big screen; he played the leader of the Lost Boys in Hook opposite Robin Williams. Until that time, I had never even considered that I didn't racially identify with character on TV -- but seeing Dante Basco on-screen opened my young, youthful eyes to a whole new world where we, Asians, could be in the movies, too. After Dante Basco, I realized how much differently it felt to identify with a character on a racial and cultural level, to place myself into a movie that much more deeply and root for a character that much more strongly. I've followed Basco's career on and off since then. But, I have to say I missed that he would be in Take the Lead until I was emailed via APIABlogs.net and asked to attend one of their several advanced screenings. I even was offered an opportunity to do a couple minute interivew with Basco, himself. I nearly died. Unfortunately, unless given at least a couple weeks's notice, I can't go to L.A. to attend a screening. I even responded back asking for some later dates but unless I plan on inventing the first, real-world matter transporter, this isn't going to happen. Dammit. I guess I'm just going to have to see the Dangerous Minds meets Strictly Ballroom on Friday along with everyone else.

2 Comments:

Blogger William said...

The best thing about the Bosco family is that there's, like, 6 of those mothers! My personal fave was Dion, AKA "Al, the Rocket" on City Guys. Man, you've got me missing TNBC just thinking about it.

4/05/2006 04:28:00 PM  
Anonymous tekanji said...

I <3 Dante Basco. I also love him more now that I see he's the title character in the cartoon Jake Long (which I swear one day I will write about, but I need to see more eps... Disney needs to release it on DVD). He also was one of the gay guys in But I'm a Cheerleader. Seeing him in rainbow pyjamas? So awesome. I want those pjs.

I'm sorry you didn't get enough notice :( Going to the advance screening and getting an interview with him would have rocked!

4/09/2006 02:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home