reappropriate

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

America's Next Top Model

Yes, ANTM is one of my secret, guilty pleasures. I don't know when, I don't know how, but I've been watching this show rather religiously this season -- oops, I mean, "cycle". I admit, there's something twisted and entertaining to watch beautiful people be beautiful. But it was only with this past week's episode that I realized the "dark side to modelling". Gosh, I had never realized how incredibly difficult and soul-sucking it is to be stereotypically beautiful. Oh, how horrible -- to have to worry about the thin layer of softness covering your tight, itty-bitty tummy. How horrendous to have to think about your hair, your makeup, and whether or not you'll be able to walk down the runway. Just look -- the lessons in twirling, posing, and posture. I have now come to realize how truly privileged I am to be overweight, average and intelligent. Thank goodness I never have to lie awake at night worrying about my most photogenic angles. Tell me, Tyra. When will we see the new show, America's Next Top Female Astrophysicist? (None of this, of course, meaning that I will stop watching this show.)

4 Comments:

Blogger phillyjay said...

Oh come on.There are ways to respectfully disagree with someone, without caling them extremely insulting words like that.I respect the way you're taking the highroad in this.
I guess you really touched a nerve there to get that type of reaction.

4/28/2006 07:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry , wrong topic, howmit ended up here i don't know.....
-phillyjay

4/28/2006 09:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you watch the sell out korean girl who refused to date asian and then Tyra called her saying she was self hated person for being asian and chase white dudes.

5/04/2006 01:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No comments about gina claiming to be a proud asian american, and then turning around and refusing to date asian men because they were "too short." Hm. Of course not. You never call out your own - just asian men.

5/15/2006 11:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home