reappropriate

Monday, October 10, 2005

Serenity

I'm being a lazy blogger and linking to another great post. I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan (Buffy is cool, Angel's aiight, and I adore his run on Astonishing X-men) but even I noticed this discrepancy. Beyond Whedon's bizarre obsession with hypersexualized warrior princesses (dominatrixes with a twist), Whedon's newest film is the ultimate Asiaphile fantasy: all the Asian culture, none of the Asian people. I'm unfortunately too broke to pay for this movie, but Claire, over at the Hyphen magazine blog, weighs in on Whedon's latest piece de resistance. Check it out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Kaede said...

There was actually a huge piece on this on the Fandom Wank.....whatever it is LOL. There are quite a few of us scratching our heads raw over the usage of Chinese (and interspersed with that, issues of class and linguistics) in a movie with NO Chinese or even anyone remotely Asian in it. It just boggled our minds (and some others' wallets). I would like to hear his explanation for it.....

10/10/2005 01:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Kaede said...

*goes off the deep end*

Oke, now I am MAD. I just checked out the aforementioned FW and my post questioning why there were NO Asians in Serenity was answered by some smug wench saying it was a case of so-called 'colour-blind casting'. F*** that.

This was my reply:

Unfortunately, with the overwhelming talent that so many Asians have out there, I find it hard to believe that not ONE of them could be good enough for this movie. I also don't happen to believe in so-called colour-blind casting. It's just another excuse to hire a white person to fill someone else's shoes.

And before you ask, I am white. I happen to believe in equality, sure, but there should have been Asians in this movie, point blank. Ya use the lingo, you cast the peeps what speak it. Simple as that.

/post

I don't have James' gift for words, but I think (hope) I made my point.

10/10/2005 01:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home