reappropriate

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Sunny Tucson

Wow, it's crazy how a week and a half of not posting and/or posting about personal shit will make your hits take a serious turn for the worse. This one week I've been M.I.A. and Site Meter reads half the usual visits. Anyways, I'm in Tucson, and it is luv-er-ly. Even in monsoon season, this place kicks the ass of Ithaca, and I'm already the colour of a finely baked apple crisp. A few minor updates on me, and this'll be the last of the personal blogging, I swear. First of all, my apartment is quite nice, though smaller than my last place. Which suits me fine since it'll be just me. I've set up my dining room/living room/eating room/kitchen room into a giant bowling alley of multi-tasking: my television is angled in such a way that whether working on the computer, reading at my desk or cooking, I can watch the boob tube. Ah, if that isn't a statement about modern day pop culture, I don't know what is. I've spent the last couple of days getting my act together, unpacking, and generally just trying to explore Tucson. The big news of the week was the huge milestone of my young life: my first car. It took some serious wrangling, some stalking by the people at the Ford dealership, and a co-signing by a second cousin I don't speak to, but I managed to hammer out a payment plan with the people at Toyota and bought a modestly used 2005 Toyota Echo. It's almost an RV car -- it's even got a little antennae on the driver's side rather than the usual radio antennae. I'm going to be hemmoraging bills for the next five years, but this baby is mine, car insurance and all, and I don't care if she's got no CD player, got no power locks and you still have to turn that lever-thingie to unroll the windows -- I just bought a car. And she's mine. Speaking of money, I'm going to live like a pauper for the next five years, but that's the price of academia, I suppose. Oh yeah, speaking of the price of academia (and no, this actually is a non sequitor), I met a pimp last week. Yes, a real pimp. He lives in my complex, and had me over for beers. He lent me Medea's Class Reunion and I'm buying his bed frame. And his girlfriend is a sweet girl. But that's a relationship I just don't get. Crazy, crazy, crazy Tucson. Alright, I'm done with the personal blogging. Let's talk politics; I've been so news-starved this past week, I actually started listening to NPR.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy Tucson, my good Cornell buddy Jeremy just got married and lives there. If you are missing Cornell company I can put you guys in touch.

And don't knock NPR, it's the only semi-rigorous news source in the US. There's virtually no merit to FOX, NBC, CBS, CNN, or any of the other mass produced crap, so that makes NPR the default. That said, I prefer watching the BBC. At least I don't feel like everything's been dumbed down when watching that.

Congrats on the move,
T

8/17/2005 09:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Kaede said...

Yaaaaaay, Jenn's back with a vengeance :) Nice to see you survived the move relatively unscathed. Those Echos are useless, but then again I'm biased - my sister bought one (now owned by my mum) and it's about as under-powered as you can get, but it's a good starter car I guess and not too expensive. Good luck with the car, and hope I haven't put ya off it already *chuckles*

As for news, there's been plenty of that....and none of it good. Looks like I'm going to end up eating my words of a few weeks ago (was it really only a few weeks?) *sighs* but whatever, I can admit I was wrong.

Anyway, glad to see you made it back oke. See ya around and hope things go well there for you.

8/17/2005 11:23:00 AM  
Blogger nykol said...

Hey Jenn:

Excellent - glad to hear Tuscon is still sunny and still in one piece. I just moved this weekend to Madison and have already begun to complain about the exorbitant price of textbooks (um, 10 for one class??).

Regarding the pimp - well, hell - everyone needs a little love. I think this calls for another reference to NPR. I was listening to it the other day and someone (Steven Brewer, I think) just directed a movie with the fabulous Terrence Howard (of Crash fame) called "Hustle and Flow" about a pimp trying to make it in the world of hip hop. the movie received some excellent reviews and the interview with the director and lead actor was wonderful. I'm sure you can download the interview at the NPR website.

Glad you're back. I've got some essays I want to post too, but I need to get my ass in gear before I leave the country.

P.S. I listen to NPR all the time. But I have to admit, listening to it too much can make you a little loopy.

8/17/2005 01:03:00 PM  
Blogger Karlos said...

Am I the only one who comes here because of your personal blogging?

I've never driven an Echo, but I have a feeling I wouldn't fit in one. It's a Toyota, though, so I'm sure it's a good car ...for a munchkin ;-) Does she have a name?

Good call buying a pimp's bed frame; if it's still intact, you know that's one sturdy muthafuckin' bed frame!

8/17/2005 03:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Kaede said...

*laughs* That's good, Karlos....

I've driven the aforementioned Echo and I can tell ya, I'm average height, and even my knees were knocking the dashboard something awful. I had to have the seat all the way back (as I always do in every car I drive, cuz I gots long legs...) and even then it was a tight squeeze. At least I managed to make it go faster than my mum thought it could go *grins evilly* Hubby says it's all in how you drive it, not necessarily WHAT you drive *smirks*

8/17/2005 06:35:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

... i feel like an oompa loompa. the echo fits me perfectly.

thanks, you guys, for all the love!!

8/17/2005 07:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home