reappropriate

Friday, July 01, 2005

Luther Vandross, 1951-2005

It's time to crawl back into bed and wish the day had never happened. First, there's a very real possibility that Roe v. Wade may be soon overturned meaning by this time two years from now, abortion may be completely illegal, but now... now... Luther Vandross has passed away!! Luther brings back lots of strong memories for me. I grew up on his songs; my mother, back when she was into songs with, y'know, lyrics, would shuttle me back and forth from school always playing our local Easy Music station, CHFI 98.1. Long past the age when I should've matured into my own musical tastes, I was enjoying these soft rock ballads with my mother, belting out the words at the top of my 14-year-old lungs, fantasizing that I could actually sing. It was songs by people like Luther that helped cultivate my hopeless romanticism when it comes to love and devotion. It's like a part of my childhood is gone now, and I only just now noticed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home