reappropriate

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

50 Years After Bandung

There's long been hostility between Blacks and Asians. Asian Americans tend to buy into the hierarchy of colour long dominated by whites, thinking that any minority below them on the totem pole are subject to derision, while many Blacks regard Asian Americans as too white-washed, too privileged, and too economically predatory on the Black community. I've always loved the idea of coalition-building, but have always found it to be largely a pipe dream. I've never truly believed that these two communities would see eye to eye: there's simply been too much bad blood over the years, and so much of it engineered by when and how we arrived to America. After Emancipation, the same slave ships that were used to bring Africans to the New World as slaves were used to bring Chinese coolies as indentured servants to replace the freed African workers. Plantation owners pitted Black labourers against Asian labourers and Asian labourers against one another, all in an admittedly ingenious method of keeping the sizeable population of workers from forming a coalition and either physically rebelling against them, or organizing and striking. The inter- and intra-community hostility was designed to keep us docile and oppressed, For our part, we continue to buy into the hype. Well, it seems that there's more than hatred and rapping about "Black Korea" going on, after all. Apparently, the Third World Coalition of the America Friends Service Committee is hosting a State of Black-Asian Relations Forum next month to interrogate the status of the relationship between the Black and Asian American community. If you're in Philadelphia on August 2, I highly recommend you check it out. I wish I could be there...

4 Comments:

Blogger phillyjay said...

I've said before here that both communities seem to be at odds in everything.How accurate my descriptions is I don't know, and lately I've been thinking maybe I'm looking too deep into this race thing.Communites have different issues to deal with yeah, but it's not like we are completely different species without any similarity at all.I guess I'm just not assuming as much as I use to.

This gathering does sounds very interesting I have to admit.I'm not the activist type, but I am interested in what they will say.
Since it is right in philadelphia I'll try to check it out.If I do make it, I'll tell you how it went jenn.

One more thing, not sure if you heard about it, but there is a independent movie showing for the first time thursday in philly.It deals with black asian relations as well.The movie is about a asian immigrant store owner who works in the ghetto, and how the owner views the customers through poetry.Definately something different.Looks like it might actually be at least interesting.

7/19/2005 02:11:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

oooh, phillyjay, i would LOVE if you went and tell me how it goes. honestly, i don't think it'll really cater to the activist audience... i think it'll be great for everyone because it sounds like it'll deal with a variety of day-to-day issues and have a specifically american bent (rather than bandung).

as soon as i found out about this thing, my mind actually raced to whether or not i could go to philly. but... unfortunately... no...

on the unrelated note... wow, that indy movie sounds intriguing! do you have a name for it? maybe i can check it out when/if it ever makes its way to dvd or something?

7/19/2005 02:35:00 PM  
Anonymous YGB said...

Good post Jen. I wish we (Blacks / Asians) could have more open talks about this.

7/20/2005 02:23:00 AM  
Blogger phillyjay said...

Ok, found some info on the film here is the site:

http://www.jerseystylefilms.com/GoldenEmpire.html

Hope it's actually a good independant film.I'm not sure if I'm going jut yet, it really depends if I'm not broke.

7/20/2005 07:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home