reappropriate

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Like a Lemming...

Unfurling fingered me in an old book meme post, so I figure I should play: 1) Total number of books I've owned? Oh wow, due to the fact that I've never sold a textbook in my life, probably like 300. Are we counting comic books -- because then it'd be more like 1000+. 2) What is the last book I bought? Screaming Monkeys 3) Last book I read? Screaming Monkeys, before that a re-read of Harry Potter IV 4) 5 books that mean something to me: Stranger from a Different Shore, Ron Takaki. For the historian in all of us. Harry Potter (and subsequent sequels), J.K. Rowling. For the child in all of us. Nancy Drew (the whole series). First novels I ever read. When and Where I Enter, Gary Okihiro. Contains my favourite Okihiro essay. Oliver Twist, Charles Dickens. One of the few "classics" I loved to death. 5) Finger 5 untagged people and tag them in on this: Electroman, Wizard, K, Shel, Biebl

3 Comments:

Anonymous Shelly said...

done and done... is it sad that i totally get off on these survey things?? :) ooooh, yeah jenn, i guess its my turn to explain "things said in boyfriends' blogs"... i was just fired up. :)

6/23/2005 10:45:00 AM  
Blogger James said...

Man, I really despise these survey things.... but this one's for you Jenn.

1)I'm going to estimate roughly 500 books I've owned, thanks to the same non-selling reason.

2) Last book I've Bought? Post-Soul Nation: The Explosive, Contridictory, Triumphant, and Tragic 1980's as Experienced by African Americans (Previously Known as Blacks and Before That Negroes) by Nelson George. Before that, it was What's the Matter with Kansas? by Thomas Frank.

3)The last books I've read are the two mentioned in #2.

4)The Portable Nietzsche by Friedrich Nietzsche. This text helped develop my sense of mental independence, against all gods.
Notes of a Native Son by James Baldwin. One of the greatest essay collections of the 20th Century.
The End Of Liberalism by Theodore Lowi. Stunning indictment of interest-group liberalism.
The Seven Military Classics of Ancient China by Sun Tzu, Wu Chi, Sun Bin, et al. ancient synthesis of violence with logic to forge governmental authority tailored to local political concerns.
The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller. The most revolutionary synthesis of 1980's Reaganomics and a pop culture icon ever written. Easily the blueprint for all decent superhero comics of the next two decades.

5) I don't finger random people, sorry. :)

6/24/2005 09:20:00 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

ah, but you finger so well. spread the love....

6/24/2005 09:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home