reappropriate

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Lazy Summer Nights

It's been a bit of a slow week as far as Current Events and news, so I've been acclimating to living on my own, finding ways to busy myself with my web design and computer work, and crossing my fingers in hopes that electroman's new position works out. I've gotten reacquainted with Scarecrow with whom I had a bit of a falling out several years ago, and that has made for some long but entertaining, video game and board game filled nights. After the rather melodramatic post of last week, things have begun looking up -- it's been difficult but I'm confident electroman and I will work it out; though we miss each other terribly right now, we've managed to call and chat it up every night and things haven't been weird between us as far as relying on phone lines for communication. I've started filling my next month and a half in Ithaca with plans to catch up or otherwise do the things I usually don't have time to do. At least one is to read this book, which I found in the Campus Store this afternoon: The Asian Mystique: Dragon Ladies, Geisha Girls, & Our Fantasies of the Exotic Orient by Sheridan Passo

Prasso, a former Business Week Asia editor, asks if Westerners can look objectively at the Eastern region, blinded as they are by "issues of race and sex, fantasy and power." It's this worldview-one the author admits succumbing to and feeling a "sense of loss" in giving up-that clouds cross-cultural relations. Prasso's ambitious agenda focuses on both Asian women and our perceptions of them, exploring the historical and pop cultural roots of the "Asian Mystique" and ending with a "reality tour of Asia."
I'm not sure if this is going to actually be an in-depth look at the fetishization of Asian women or an Asiaphiles wet dream, but either way, if I had an Amazon.com account, this would be on my wishlist.

1 Comments:

Blogger chenlina said...

chenlina20161221
hollister clothing
oakley sunglasses
rolex watches
louboutin uk
louis vuitton handbags
coach outlet online
louis vuitton outlet stores
retro jordans
canada goose outlet
michael kors handbags

12/20/2016 10:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home