reappropriate

Friday, June 17, 2005

Dearest Wizard

Dearest Wizard, I feel our love affair can never work. When you wrote:

So, Jenn updated her site template again. More anime. To quote the great Gomer Pyle, "Surprise, surprise!" Don't get me wrong; it's a sharp site. It just seems a bit...cliche? Ya know, for a site that tries to break down all the stereotypes, she sure has a funny approach. Anyway, stay tuned for my "fried chicken and tap-dancing" redesign...

... I realized our relationship could never be. After all, you are such an enlightened and politically aware individual, and now I have realized, through your words, that I am a self-hating, racially ignorant stereotype. How could I not have known that my simple appreciation of manga artwork was fulfilling that little known yet obviously potent stereotype of the Asian American anime lover? Though most stereotypes of the "otaku" are of white fanboys, I should've known that, as a person of Asian descent, I had no claim to the artform that originated out of my hemisphere of culture. I only hope that some day I can live up to the standards you have set and move past this hypocrisy of trying to reclaim all these icons of Asian culture that American cultural imperialism has taken from me and my people. Perhaps someday I will grow into a new, more enlightened phase of blog design which can feature such inspiring images of Asian Americana as Lucy Liu, Yao Ming, and a quarter of Tiger Woods (perhaps a layout that features one of his hands? an eye? a foot?) Maybe I might even return this blog to its short-lived glory days when the design centred around that truly defiant image of the hypersexualized American ideal of the Asian woman, Psylocke, a design which you not only had no problem with, but had a hand in creating. Either way, thank you for helping me to see the light and though I know we can never be lovers again, I hope that we may continue to be good friends. Always, Jenn PS - I must say, I found your comments in the above linked post about women wearing fur coats on public transportation truly tolerant and not at all prejudicial.

4 Comments:

Blogger William said...

OK, for the record, Psylocke is British, not Asian. But when Mojo gave her cybernetic eyes and she emerged from the Seige Perilous, it changed her personality, and she kinda stole the life force of the ninja, Kwannon. That's representin' for all my otaku boys out there.

Now that's out of the way, I've gotta say that I can't really ride the sarcasm train for too long without getting a little motion sickness.

As you could figure out, I was really just trying to get you after me. Switch up the menu of topics du jour. But I really thought you'd bring your A game. Not that you need me, but I kinda like to keep my blog friends on their toes (see Palaedorian's blog). I guess I'll have to try harder next time...

P.S. Prejudicial? Have you ridden a city bus outside of Canada? I hear that up there, bus rides come complete with syrup and free health care. And no, TCAT doesn't count either. Come to my hood, and you'll see my point.

Cheers!

6/19/2005 11:00:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Psylocke was like the epitome of otaku appropriation of Asian feminity for white male masturbation. She was a foreign dragon lady -- but still a white woman wearing Asian skin. She had that spice of exoticness, what with her instinctive ninja knowledge (because all of us are kung fu masters) but was still trying too hard to be white. Hell, notice that in this melding of two races, it's the Asian part of her that brings her brute force, and the white part of her that brings her some brains... She's all kinds of racial fuckedup-edness... and I knew it going into the Psylocke design.

And yeah, you heard wrong when it comes to Toronto bus systems. Some buses in T.O. are okay, and some buses do go through the rougher parts of town and are subsequently a little shadier.

Which is besides the point that the statement was still a little... less than tolerant.

6/20/2005 10:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen's right, and I just wanted to say, as a female comic book reader, you know, representing--I wanted to point out that Spiral made Betsy and Kwannon switch bodies. So, Betsy and her white soul got to live in a hot, disease-free Asian body, while Kwannon died in Betsy's original body (proof of this is when Kwannon cut out the bionic eyes of her "new" body) from the Legacy Virus.
More info can be found here: http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/spotlight/showquestion.asp?faq=10&fldAuto=53&page=4

I just wanted to say, also, that I really enjoy this blog.
Thanks,
Nat

6/21/2005 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

oh definitely, female comic book readers in the hiz-ouse!!

oh god... i can't believe i just typed that. someone smack me.

6/21/2005 05:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home