reappropriate

Friday, June 10, 2005

blogging for blogging's sake

Skimming old WilWheaton.net, I came across this linked post about blog writing. The ten warning signs of tony pierce's 'blogger burnout' got me thinking about my own attitude towards blogging:

  1. when your internal dialogue gets hijacked by your concerns about what your readers will think.
  2. when you are afraid to write down what you are truly thinking about at that moment.
  3. when you believe the lie that some people just arent capable of good writing.
  4. when you believe the lie that there is a certain way that you "should" write anything.
  5. when you get more involved in punctuation, spelling, or aestetics than saying what you want to say.
  6. when you get caught up in traffic, hits, popularity, readers, and/or fame.
  7. when you believe the lie that what you think doesnt matter.
  8. when you believe the lie that what youre about to say has been said before and/or written down better.
  9. when you forget that most ideas can be expressed in less than 15 minutes.
  10. when you dont set aside a little bit of time each day to update your blog.
I like to think I haven't violated too many of those rules yet but I know that sometimes this blog feels like a chore. Sometimes it feels masochistic -- like I'm just trying to open myself up to endless drama and sniping. I definitely am guilty of getting caught up in hits and worrying about what you faithful readers might say. Time to be more mindful that this is still just for fun. Nonetheless, pierce's post definitely explains why I stopped reading the big bloggers -- blogging has gone corporate, mainstream, and I don't like the cookie cutter fad-iness of it all. Blogging should be grassroots, an ongoing global art project in saying it like you feel it is.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Winnie said...

I liked that post. I think many more bloggers reach burnout than are willing to admit it. I also think that some people are just more suited to be able to put their thoughts down than others.
Anyway, I enjoy your blog.

6/10/2005 08:04:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

thanks for commenting, winnie, i appreciate your kind words. ^_^

the other thing that wasn't mentioned by the tony pierce post, though, was when people start repeating themselves with every post. like MichelleMalkin.com, which I read periodically -- it was like the same thing over and over: liberals suck. liberals hate america. liberals are stupid... and on and on.

i'm sure i've committed that crime too, but i feel like, in its own way, that's also blogger burnout. people stop trying to really think of something to say and fall back on the crowd pleasers.

6/10/2005 10:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Winnie said...

ie. repeating themselves

yeah, that is really true for the big blogs lately. it's easy to predict what they will say so i find myself less inclined to listen to the issues actually. it's editorial overload.

6/12/2005 12:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home