reappropriate

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Roadtrip, Interrupted

Aaargh. So, for those of you who don't speak to me on IM, I did in fact decide to return home for the holidays -- a brief trip lasting from the 22nd to the 26th. As I type this, I am sitting at my mother's really nice Sony Vaio, with the craptastic Chinese version of Windows XP that I can use only because of my knack for visual memory and a vague recollection of the screens as I saw them in English on my own computer. Otherwise, I navigate only by trial and error, using the single-letter key shortcuts as to clues to what each menu item leads to. But I digress. So, S (Bossman's newest grad student, and a recent emigre from the harsh Canadian winters) and her fiancee, A, were headed back up to Toronto for the holidays. They offered me a ride should I so choose, and at the time I had inquired about where they were headed and where they could drop me off (all the way home to northern Ontario, and yes). This week, after discovering the last minute familial obligations, asked S for a ride and she agreed. Not so good with ironing out the kinks, we decided even more last minute that I would wait for her at 8am at the lab this morning, where she would pick me up. They wanted to leave Ithaca by 8am, and be in Toronto by 4pm. However, there was a slight obstacle -- S and A wanted to take a short detour, on the way to Toronto, by way of Kingston/Waterloo, which if you check a map, is about an hour west of Toronto. How that was 'on the way' is beyond me. But anyways, since they were doing me a favour, I didn't much mind. Somehow, though we went through the border at 12:00pm, today (making great time) we didn't actually get into Kingston/Waterloo until 4:00pm. I have no idea how that happened, since I was dozing for most of the time. Then we had lunch. Then we went to Value Village. Then they dropped the sister off and started on the trek to Toronto. By now we were hitting rush-hour traffic, and it was so evil today. We spent the next hour from 5pm to 6pm getting from Kingston/Waterloo to Toronto. Then, from 6pm to about 7:30pm, we travelled roughly 10km or so to get from Toronto west to Toronto sorta-less-west, where, by that point, S, frustrated that I had 'taken her so far out of her way', wanted to just drop me off by the side of the road or something. Okay, maybe not so severe, but she basically wanted to know why I couldn't catch a bus from that point. Nevermind that we're on the fucking 401, and A refuses to get into a lane where we could actually exit if we so desired, and never mind that the subway just doesn't extent that far west. Never mind that I couldn't just fucking hail a cab. Well, anyways, long story short, after some more trudging, we made it as far as Leslie and Sheppherd, where I said goodbye and decided to take a subway and a cab the rest of the way home. Okay, I admit: they were doing me a favour. For that, I apologize profusely. But, come on! They never told me that the place they were going to was actually west of Toronto, or that they weren't planning on taking the smarter route to Toronto from Niagara Falls which involves entering Toronto from the lakefront. Never mind that I had decided to try and get off the car by about 6:45pm and A ho-hummed his way on the 401 so that we couldn't actually let me go until half an hour later. And to top it all off, S blames me. I spent just as much money as a Greyhound getting here, and spent more time letting my ass take root than I would've on a bus. Forget it... I am never bumming a ride to Toronto, again. So, everyone, wish me luck as I plunge headfirst into the unknown wilderness that is ... (duh! duh! duh!) The Obligatory Holiday Familial Visit (tm) -- survival rate 26 1/3%.

6 Comments:

Blogger phillyjay said...

Good luck.I have some family coming over but
we never have any drama thankfully :)

12/23/2004 12:28:00 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks, sweetie :)

12/23/2004 03:21:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

christian louboutin, uggs on sale, longchamp outlet, air max, gucci handbags, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses wholesale, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, michael kors pas cher, christian louboutin uk, ugg boots, polo outlet, nike free, nike outlet, tiffany and co, polo ralph lauren outlet online, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin outlet, prada handbags, tiffany jewelry, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, sac longchamp pas cher, louboutin pas cher, nike air max, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin shoes, nike free run, replica watches, chanel handbags, louis vuitton, replica watches, kate spade outlet, jordan shoes, longchamp pas cher, jordan pas cher, oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, nike roshe

5/11/2016 01:56:00 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

coach outlet, michael kors outlet online, oakley pas cher, michael kors outlet online, new balance, true religion outlet, nike air max uk, burberry outlet, ralph lauren uk, ray ban uk, north face uk, replica handbags, michael kors, timberland pas cher, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet online, coach outlet store online, uggs outlet, nike air force, hollister uk, michael kors outlet, sac vanessa bruno, hogan outlet, nike roshe run uk, uggs outlet, sac hermes, michael kors, mulberry uk, north face, nike tn, nike air max uk, hollister pas cher, true religion jeans, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, nike air max, nike blazer pas cher, true religion outlet, converse pas cher, true religion outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, kate spade, lululemon canada, ray ban pas cher, guess pas cher, polo lacoste, nike free uk, vans pas cher

5/11/2016 01:59:00 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

iphone cases, hermes belt, mac cosmetics, mcm handbags, giuseppe zanotti outlet, oakley, instyler, lululemon, reebok outlet, wedding dresses, converse, baseball bats, hollister clothing, new balance shoes, soccer shoes, vans outlet, valentino shoes, babyliss, abercrombie and fitch, jimmy choo outlet, asics running shoes, bottega veneta, soccer jerseys, nfl jerseys, nike air max, nike roshe run, herve leger, mont blanc pens, north face outlet, beats by dre, timberland boots, converse outlet, louboutin, longchamp uk, vans, insanity workout, nike huaraches, ferragamo shoes, gucci, nike trainers uk, p90x workout, ray ban, ghd hair, celine handbags, hollister, hollister, north face outlet, nike air max, ralph lauren, chi flat iron

5/11/2016 02:03:00 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

moncler, pandora jewelry, replica watches, canada goose, hollister, pandora uk, moncler outlet, canada goose uk, barbour, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, lancel, canada goose, louis vuitton, thomas sabo, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, barbour uk, swarovski, moncler, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, montre pas cher, juicy couture outlet, doudoune moncler, ugg, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, moncler, karen millen uk, moncler uk, coach outlet, canada goose outlet, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, moncler outlet, links of london, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, moncler, wedding dresses, supra shoes, marc jacobs, swarovski crystal, canada goose jackets, ugg uk, canada goose, pandora jewelry, ugg pas cher, pandora charms

5/11/2016 02:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home